Monday, April 28, 2008

National Zoo Trip

Lisa, Bethany, Mary and I decided to go to the National Zoo back in March...about a week before Easter. It was such a beautiful day. I didn't even wear a jacket, as I'm hot most of the time. We had a great time. I actually drove it, thanks to my sweet husband getting a Garmin for me to use whenever I venture out alone. :) He is a whiz at driving the D.C. traffic, but I tend to avoid that area in my roamings. Anyway, it worked well and was well worth the trip. Bethany and Mary self photo
The REAL deal


Mary and Nancy at the front of the National Zoo after lunch


Mary, Lisa, and Bethany eating lunch at a great outdoor cafe near the zoo
Nancy and Mary
Lisa and Bethany

This is a sign under one of the towers. The apes are actually over the open zoo on the wires at some points. Neat to watch. The towers start at one of the monkey houses and goes to the other one and they can go from one to the other whenever they want to.
Getting ready to climb upThinking about climbing up

Orangatuan climbing the tower
Hanging loose

The monkey house is at the other end of the orangutang wire. Here is one that has evolved a bit more than the rest. She was actually cleaning her own cage! haha Lisa actually did hear someone commenting on how we had evolved from those things! Sad, isn't it?




Grouchy boy



He was just sitting there until I aimed the camera at him then he covered his face and then glared at me. I think he is cute.







Mary, Bethany, & Lisa

















There were so many animals to see...we ran out of time and didn't even get to see all there was to see. We plan on going back this summer before it gets too hot to enjoy. For those who are in this area and haven't been, you need to go!! If you don't want to drive, take the metro. Call me and I'll go with you!! :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think monkeys/forms of monkeys are cute! I'm so glad you got to see them cross the wires! We went a couple of years ago, but didn't see them on the wires...looks so cool!

Doug and Terrye said...

We were in DC last year, and you're right...the zoo is great! Don't miss the WWII Memorial, it was so beautiful.