Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sisters' Road Trip

My sisters and I took off for Illinois on Feb 28th. We wanted to go visit our Illinois/Missouri relatives....our Grandma (94 years old) for her birthday, my mom's sister, Aunt Edith, as she is recovering from cancer surgery, & then all of our relatives from our Dad's side of the family. Vanessa and Jo flew up to VA on Friday night, then Lisa and Bruce picked them up at the airport and brought them to my house. We left around 9 a.m. to head to Quincy, IL in our van. I drove the whole day the first day. It wasn't so bad, as we stopped a lot. :)
The weather was great until we hit ice in KY. Nancy, Vanessa, Lisa & Jo before we left
We were about an hour away from our hotel in Louisville, KY, when the ice/snow/sleet/freezing rain hit! I drove very slowly as we watched other cars slipping and sliding all over. We passed a couple of accidents, then I realized it was time to fill the gas tank up. I was right at an exit, and the black top was fast disappearing under ice cover. I told my sisters we needed to get gas, and that I'd have to get off and get it then. I told them as we were creeping off the highway, that if there was a hotel here I wanted to get it. They readily agreed, as the further west we went the heavier the precipitation was. We found a Holiday Inn Express right away, and there was room in the inn!! YAH!! This is a pic of the sidewalk and parking lot as we unloaded. It was slippery!!


Here's the van covered in ice. We didn't want to get back out to have dinner, so we called a local Chinese restaurant near the hotel and they delivered to our room. It was really good food, too!! I called the hotel I had booked for us in Louisville, and they cancelled the reservation for me with no penalties. He said they wouldn't penalize us for weather cancellations. What a blessing, because we were hours past the deadline for cancelling!!


I took pics after we were warm and in our jammies.
Lisa
Nancy




Vanessa


Jo (still recovering from her para thyroid surgery!)


Jo, Lisa, Nessa, and Nancy

2 comments:

Doug and Terrye said...

what a blast you girls must be having!!! I'm definitely going to turn on the news in the morning, I'm sure you will end up in some kind of trouble ;o)

Terrye in FL

Hope said...

That is just the cutest picture ever!!