Monday, March 9, 2009

Quincy, Here We Come....Eventually!!

We made it to Illinois on Sunday late morning. We were so excited and ready to finally see our Grandma Dorothy & Alex. My GPS, named Richard, got us to near St. Louis with little problems. Once we made it there, however, Richard decided to get goofy!! We followed "his" directions to Quincy via Alton, Jerseyville, and Kampsville, IL. What is so bad about that? Well, as we took the loooong way to Quincy, I was getting rather frustrated. We were out in the country, which was beautiful, but then started getting directions to go down the tiniest little roads that curved and narrowed unbelievably. The weather was great, so we followed along. As we got to Ferry Road, Lisa said, "Watch, we are going to have to get on a ferry." To which I replied, "No, I'm NOT getting on a ferry." About that time "Richard" says (in his Australian accent), "In three point one miles, board the ferry." At that time I yelled, "NO, I'm not!" , while my sisters died laughing. Jo turned the car around and I had her pull over. We called Cindy who couldn't figure out why I wouldn't want to get on a ferry. I had pictured this huge ferry, waiting in line for another hour, paying some crazy fee and crossing the rough old Muddy Mississippi. I decided we didn't have a choice and we got on the ferry. It ended up being no big deal...it was a small ferry (only about 8 or 9 vehicles could fit at one time) and we got on within a few minutes. We only had to cross the Illinois River and it wasn't wide at all!! I was SO mad at the GPS, though, for taking us the long way to Grandma's. We truly went over the river AND through the woods (or country, anyway). :) As my sisters said, we did have an adventure and laughed a lot!
We stayed in the van, and took some pictures. Here is the view out of my window.



In the middle of the river!Getting closer to the other side.

Swinging around.


Kampsville Ferry


Me, trying to look happy...notice the life jackets sign! haha



Jo thoroughly enjoying the ride!


Lisa, in between laughing


Nessa enjoying the ride!

2 comments:

Hope said...

Nancy...you and Jo look so much alike it isn't funny. As I was scrolling down the individual pictures of your sisters I had to stop and look again. If you grew your hair longer or Jo cut hers, you could be twins!!

Doug and Terrye said...

You are a smart woman to park near the stash of life jackets!

Terrye in FL